Can you believe the summer is basically over? Labor Day is just around the corner and work is about to get busy again. This weekend is a time to rest and hang out with friends/family but Labor Day is also like a small reset button for your jobs and careers.
While you may be bummed out that your summer vacations and weekends on the beach are coming to an end, get energized about the months ahead and use this energy to improve your professional image and networks. Here are 5 easy steps to get you started.
- Check your Linked-in Profile picture – make sure it’s an updated professional photo. Image is a big part of who we are and how we are perceived. This step is really easy and can make a big difference when a new client, coworker or potential employer looks you up on Linkedin. And believe me they will look you up!
- Check your other social media accounts to make sure that your profile is private. Unless you want everyone with internet access to see your baby pictures, drunken half naked Hamptons photos or your views on the Israel-Gaza conflict, I advise that you check the settings on your social media and make yourself private
- Email everyone in your network wishing them a Happy Labor Day. Ask them what their plans are for the rest of the year, what projects they will be working on and how you can help. Invite the recipient of your email on a coffee date and watch your social calendar fill up! The response will be overwhelming, you will strengthen your network. The best part is that you will have a chance to share with people what you are trying to achieve this year. Many of us wait to connect with our network when we need something – BAD IDEA. Do you go out to buy steaks at the very moment your grill is already on full heat? Nope! You will buy the steaks in advance and even marinate them overnight. Your relationships need to marinate too and no better time to start than now, no better excuse than Labor Day weekend!
- Write down 3 to 5 goals that you want to accomplish by year end. Share them with people! Let’s pretend your goal is to close four large deals before the end of the year. There is no harm in telling your clients, coworkers and friends about this goal. It will be a motivator to you that others know about your goals, furthermore you might receive help from them via a quick referral or an endorsement.
Have a great Labor Day weekend. In the spirit of taking my own advice, here are 3 goals that I have for the rest of the year.
- Sign coaching contracts with three more corporate clients – if you work for a company or run a business that wants to drive revenue by developing employees’ communication and sales skills… Call me!
- Present my signature talk on the topic of Powerful Communication That Gets Results to at least 3 professional organizations or companies. If you are looking for speakers for an event call me!
- Help 3-4 more individual clients transform their careers by helping them get new jobs, promoted, or earning more!